Get trip ideas and stay updated about events going on in Kearney by signing up for our free newsletter!
To submit your own event click here
- This event has passed.
Cardboard Boat Regatta
July 21, 2018 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Come one, come all, to Kearney Whitewater Associations first ever Cardboard Boat Regatta. Sponsored by Kearney Paddle Sports Whether you make a boat and participate, or just want to come and join in the fun, we would love to have you attend.
1) Youth, ages 12 and under. Unmanned cardboard boats 12″-36″ long. These boats will all float at the same time in a race.
2) Open class, ages 13 and up. Manned with one captain. Captain must be 18 or older.
Entry Fee: All entry fees go toward our Whitewater Park.
1) Youth, $25.00. Free if parents enter a boat in the Open Class.
2) Open Class, $25.00, if you haul it away. $35.00 if you have us dispose of it.
Please have all boats at the green space just south of the north parking lot (right by the water trail entrance) at Yanney Park by 2:00 for a show and shine. We will set sail at 3:00, beginning with the youth class.
1) Boats can only be constructed with corrugated cardboard and duct tape, with the exception of decorations. The cardboard can be any size and thickness. No cardboard tubes, (other than wrapping paper tubes), or waxed cardboard. Decorations must not have any sharp edges, glass or metal and be environmentally friendly. You may use permanent markers. Captains are permitted and strongly encouraged to wear costumes that compliment their boats.
2) Boats need to weigh less than 150 pounds, (if you need our help getting your boat out of the water, we need the odds stacked in our favor).
3) All members of the crew that will be on or near the water, must be wearing water shoes and a coast guard approved life jacket. No Exceptions.
4) Boats are allowed one paddle.
5) The captain of the ship must be visible from waist up while the boat is in the water. (Your boat might end up being a submarine, but should not intentionally start as one).
6) All teams must have each individual sign a waiver on the day of the regatta.
7) Each team is responsible for getting your boat out of the water. KWA members will be there to assist you if needed.
8) Must follow all rules of the water trail. No alcohol allowed.
9) Weather date is June 16th.
1) Youth: Fastest, Most creative, Best design
2) Open: Floats the farthest, Most spectacular sinking, Most
Contact Glenda Fraber (call or text) at 308-627-5541 with questions.
Good Luck and Bon Voyage!